Monday, August 5, 2013

In the Picture

“What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.”  - Karl Lagerfeld


Cath and Stan hosted an open house yesterday to introduce their new great grandson, Elijah.  He is a beautiful baby, incredibly alert for just four weeks old.  I brought my camera to capture a few moments of the day, at the very least a picture of five generations who would for the first time be gathered all together, the eldest member being Stan's mom.  It was moving to witness the gathering as Elijah posed on the sofa, cradled in his father's arms, next to his grandma, great grandpa and great great grandma.  Not that many families have the good fortune to participate in such a photo opportunity.  Stan's mom was beside herself with excitement. 


I realized when I got home from the lake last week after a few days with my cousins, that in spite of the fact I had taken dozens of photographs, I was not in a single one of them.  Likewise, I was seldom captured in any of the photographs taken when we hosted our English guests in June.  The truth is, I don't like photographs of myself.  In my mind, I don't look like I apparently do in life.  When I see photos of myself, I'm often disheartened by my weight, by the profile view of my nose, by my sagging jawline,  by my furrowed brow and on and on and on.  So I very often don't put myself in the picture.  But I've been thinking about that a little and I've realized that I probably haven't been making the best choices.  Elijah won't care when he's a grown man, if his grandparents, aunts and uncles and the great or great great versions of those relatives, were wrinkled or overweight.  He likely will care, however that he has some knowledge of his history and who we are were and how much he was loved. 


With that in mind, yesterday I put myself in the picture.  Before the end of the day, I scooped Elijah up in my arms and handed my camera to Merv.  Admittedly, it is not a spectacular picture of me.  But it doesn't matter.  I posted it on Facebook for all to see.  In the years to come, when Elijah looks back on the photo, I hope what he'll really see is the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment