Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pennies and Peace Signs

"It takes half your life before you discover life is a do-it-yourself project."  - Napoleon Hill





It's been a busy week since Merv left for a Florida vacation on Monday.  Not only have I been busy with work, but I hosted a dinner party and used my time alone in the house to work on some projects.  A couple of weeks ago, I found a small table at Value Village.  Initially I stained the table black intending to finish it with a copper glaze before I covered the top of it with pennies.  But after a thorough search, I wasn't able to find copper glaze in Canada so instead, I bought liquid copper gilt and applied it to the whole table.  It looks great.  Once it was cured, I spent a few hours arranging and gluing pennies to cover the top of the table.  Though time consuming and fussy, it was a fun project.

After a long overdue appointment with my hairdresser, I headed to the bead store yesterday to pick up some stones for a birthday gift I'm making for Geraldine.  While I was there I spotted some brightly coloured dyed-turquoise beads that had been cut in the shape of a peace sign.  I was instantly hit with the notion of making a rosary with the stones the basis for which would be that it would be a rosary to use when praying for peace.  It took me a couple of hours last night to make the rosary.  It's enormous but really quite wonderful.  I made it while I watched events unfold in Boston.  If there ever was a time to pray for peace, this feels like it.

This afternoon Geraldine and I completed some of her outstanding projects - a lovely mixed stone rosary for her friend and a trio of bracelets for her daughters.  It was a nice way to pass the afternoon, talking and creating.    When I go to bed tonight, I know I will feel satisfied that there are some things in the world that will mark my presence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment