Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mildly A-MUSE-d

They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious.

- Lyrics to Uprising by MUSE

 We were clearly the oldest people in the house at the Air Canada Centre last night.  For Christmas I gave Merv a pair of tickets to see MUSE.  I had never heard of MUSE before we attended The Who concert at the ACC last November.  Upcoming concerts were being advertised and when Merv saw that MUSE was coming, he proclaimed how much he would love to see them.  So I bought tickets for him, hoping that Jacob would be finished exams and able to go with his dad to see a group they both enjoy.  It didn't turn out that way so last night, I accompanied Merv.  My ears are still ringing.

I've never been a big fan of hard rock - even when I was young.  The warm up act last night was a Scottish group called Biffy Clyro. They were definitely hard rock though a couple of times I almost caught the drift of a tune.  I didn't know what to expect from MUSE.  I was prepared for the fact that they probably would be a little harder than suits my taste.  They were a little harder than I had expected.  At one point they played "Madness" and I vaguely recognized the song.  That would be as close as I would come until the closing number "Uprising" which I sang along to.  I don't know why I know the song "Uprising" but I do.  I know the tune and I know the lyrics to the chorus.  Other than that, it was two hours of noise.  Through that time I frequently reminded myself to find my Zen space and stay there - a challenge at times when the bass guitar was reverberating so loudly that my sternum was vibrating.

The concert wrapped up shortly after ten o'clock.  Merv loved it and at the end of the day, that's all that really counts.  I won't be rushing out to buy a MUSE CD but I survived.  If only my ears would stop ringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment