Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Seeing Police in Valpolicella

"Language is wine upon the lips." - Virginia Woolf

There is a great pizza restaurant on Dufferin called "Camarra".  It had been nineteen years between my last meal there and the lunch I had today.  For the last year and a half, I have been part of a formal mentoring program through my professional association.  My protege is a young man named Steven.  We first met when he was working for one of my clients.  We developed a good working relationship and when HRPA decided to run a formal mentoring program, we signed up as mentor and protege.  Steven's company was located in Mississauga so about once a month, I travelled  to Mississauga to meet him for lunch.  But as Steven isn't with that company any more, today we decided to meet in the city.  When Steve suggested Camarra, I jumped on it.  They have the best pizza in town.

I arrived at the restaurant a bit early.  In perusing the menu, I was transported to another time, nineteen years ago when Jacob was two.  In those days, Merv and I, along with Cath, Stan, Nan, Marg and Bob were in a bowling league.  As we never left Jacob with a paid sitter in the evenings, but only with one of his aunts who were both otherwise engaged with us, we used to bring Jacob to the bowling alley to watch us play.  He absolutely loved it.  One night after bowling, we decided to go to Camarra for pizza.  While sitting at the table, Jacob noticed a table tent advertising the house wine.  The red was a valpolicella.  Jacob delightedly pointed to the table tent and said, "Look Mom.  Police."  He picked the word "police" out of the word "valpolicella".  I remember the little rush I felt and the looks on the faces of everyone at the table.  It's not that we weren't aware that Jacob was special but it was a reminder of just how truly brilliant he was.

Jacob is still brilliant and there have been many reminders in these many years.  Steve is just a few years older than Jacob, also brilliant.  He is a wonderful young man, kind, smart and respectful.  He is  one of those young people who, it is easy to see, is destined for greatness.  I enjoy spending time with him.  Though he would protest, I truly believe this mentoring relationship is a greater gift to me than it is to him.  I love being a part of helping him to actualize his full potential.  But beyond that, Steve reminds me of my own son.  I am a lucky woman indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment