Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Partings

“Life is made of ever so many partings welded together.”  - Charles Dickens


We drove Jacob and Courtney back to Guelph after enjoying an abundant and delicious Easter brunch at Cath's.  The weekend simply flew by.  It felt like it had only been hours before that I picked Jacob up on Thursday evening.  We had a lovely Good Friday dinner with our regular gang of twelve.  Yesterday, I drove to Newmarket to get Courtney, that being the decided upon rendezvous point between her dinner in Orangeville and her family's drive to Collingwood.  Before I knew it, the weekend was all done.


The house is filled with flowers and enough chocolates to fill a small confectionary store.  I'm getting plumper and plumper but I'm not in the mood to diet.  I'm going to have to work hard to resist eating them all this week.  It will be a challenge to face the void left by Jacob's departure and work through it rather than trying to fill it with sugar and fat.  I was thinking on the drive this afternoon that it is so silly for me to be feeling so much angst at his departure.  He'll be home for the summer in just three weeks.  Interestingly, I remembered that saying goodbye on Easter Sunday last year brought me to tears and yet as Easter was much later last year, he was only going to be in Guelph for two more days before his return home for the summer.  I suspect that by the time we get to Easter each year, I've said goodbye to him too many times.  Today I struggled again, choking back tears when dropping him off.


These three weeks will go by quickly.  I have Dora for a week while her humans are on vacation.  Merv has a couple of warm weather trips on his agenda, one business and one pleasure.  As for me, I have a whole host of projects lined up.  Since pennies have gone out of circulation in Canada, I have discovered the joys of creating with them.  Last week it was a penny frame.  In the next couple of weeks I plan to add a penny-topped table, some wall art and a small table top desk.  I've also got a couple of jewellery projects that I need to get done in time for some birthday celebrations.  My hope is that keeping my hands busy will keep them out of the chocolate box and keeping my mind busy will keep it out of Jacob's empty bedroom upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment