Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Pink Tree

"Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?"  -  Hal Borland

I love these autumn mornings when I wake up and see the changing leaves greet me from our bedroom window. We've been promised a colourful display this year and so far I am not disappointed.  The ravine is glorious, much of it still green but also a brilliant golden yellow and a rich scarlet red.  Yesterday when brewing my morning coffee, I looked out the kitchen window and spotted a pink tree.  Thinking that the light was creating an illusion, I stepped out on the balcony to get a clear look.  There was no illusion.  The tree is turning pink with some undertones of violet.  We've lived in this house for ten years and that tree has been in the ravine the whole time.  I've never seen it turn pink before.  It's absolutely beautiful.

Thanksgiving weekend is almost upon us.  My heart is full.  My life an embarrassment of riches.  Tomorrow I will pick up Jacob and Courtney from school.  The house will come to life.  We will have dinner on Sunday at Cath's.  There will be turkey and pumpkin pie.  We will express our gratitude for family and friends and the abundance of our blessings, too plentiful to enumerate.  Somewhere in the quiet hours, I will take some time to reflect on my own good fortune.  And when I thank the universe for the  many wonders of my life, I will be adding a lovely pink tree to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment