Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Cage of Madwomen

"The best of times is now.
What's left of Summer
But a faded rose?
The best of times is now.
As for tomorrow,
Well, who knows? Who knows? Who knows?
So hold this moment fast,
And live and love
As hard as you know how.
And make this moment last,
Because the best of times is now,
Is now, is now.
Now, not some forgotten yesterday.
Now, tomorrow is too far away."
- Lyrics from The Best of Times in La Cage aux Folles 

I caught the subway to meet Cath downtown so we could go together to see La Cage aux Folles.  Our husbands are enjoying a boys weekend at Belmont Lake and as Merv had no particular desire to see this production in our subscription series, I took Cath instead.    I don't take the subway very often but it is an interesting place to watch people.  I was struck tonight by the commonality of the eight people who were seated around me on the Sheppard line.  They were clearly of different ethnic origins and probably represented a range of socio-economic classes.  But they all had three things in common.  They were all young and all had earbuds in their ears and were all engaged with their phones.  I started to think about that a little.  I wonder what it says about a generation of people who are plugged in but tuned out.  They are oblivious to the things around them - the here and now of the world.  And I wonder when it happened that young people began to feel the need to be entertained every moment of everyday.

Before we went to the Royal Alex for the play, Cath and I enjoyed a delicious dinner at Baroote's.  I indulged in a succulent lobster potpie and treated myself to a glass of prosecco.  Then it was off to the theatre.  I'm not sure how old George Hamilton is but my guess is that at the very least he's pushing seventy.  He's not much of a singer but he looks good and he can still move.  The show was fun, not a stellar production but certainly an entertaining way to pass a few hours. A couple of the songs were catchy and in spite of the levity, were actually quite profound.   It was a fun night, a good night. And as the song reminded me, the best of times is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment