Saturday, November 26, 2011

Merry Mary Poppins

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way." - Mary Poppins


It wouldn't be my first choice if I was buying tickets but Merv and I went to see Mary Poppins tonight as part of our Mirvish subscription series. I was facing the evening with dread. Sitting through another children's musical isn't my idea of a good time. But Mary Poppins was actually okay. The music was light and lively and the staging was very clever. The story wasn't what I remember from the movie of my childhood but it was a long time ago so maybe I just don't remember as well as I thought.

While we were at the Princess of Wales, Cath and Stan were at the Royal Alex to see the Beatles musical, Rain. We met after our respective shows to compare notes and enjoy a drink at the bar in the Ritz Carleton. I think Rain was a better prospect than Mary Poppins but it could have been worse. It would have to go a long, long way toward abysmal to be worse than Little House on the Prairie or The Secret Garden, both of which were positively painful. Next month is the Blue Dragon and then Hair just after Christmas. I'm really looking forward to that. I can still remember all the songs, word for word, from playing the vinyl record album over and over again in my teens. I plan to sing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment