Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Retirement Beads

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."
~
Pooh's Little Instruction Book, inspired by A.A. Milne


After twenty-five years as Executive Director of Geneva Centre for Autism, my friend Marg is retiring this month. As much as I would like to be at her farewell party, we will be in Britain when the event is held. On that night though, I like to think I will be present in a small way. Marg will be wearing the necklace I made for her out of her retirement beads.

A couple of years ago Marg went to a bead store and bought twenty five beads, one to start and then one to add to a bowl on her desk on the first day of each month until her retirement. Today the beads came to me to create a piece of jewelry. So this morning with great love I spent a couple of hours arranging, re-arranging and stringing Marg's retirement beads. I first designed them, then strung them before discovering that the holes in the beads at the neck were not sufficiently large to allow the strand to be properly clasped. So once again, I started from scratch. I did the work while sitting on the deck so I could use the full light of the sun. My eyesight is deteriorating and I'm finding it more and more difficult to see well enough to do the fine detailing that comes with finishing a necklace. The warm air and full sun were a balm for my soul today, but the high winds presented their own challenges. Once I finished, I completed the piece with a lovely sterling clasp I've been saving for something special. But after looking at the necklace for twenty minutes or so, I decided I didn't like the way the clasp looked on that piece. I chose another clasp and did it again. I hope Marg likes it.

This afternoon I will visit the eye doctor and get a new prescription. Then I will dash off to the store and order new glasses that I hope will be ready in time for our trip to England. Later in the afternoon I will head downtown to meet Cath. We have a spa adventure booked this evening.

There are a couple of dozen tasks that require my attention before we leave on vacation. I've been trying to tackle them, a couple each day. But the air is warm and the birds are lovely so I'm making sure that enjoying the splendor of these June days is also on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment