Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Awaiting a Message from Dad

"I waited and waited, and when no message came, I knew it must have been from you.” Ashleigh Brilliant


It is my dad's ninety-first birthday today. The last one we were able to celebrate with him was nineteen years ago. Barely five weeks later, he was gone. Jacob was not quite eleven months old when my dad passed away. I worked hard to keep him alive in Jacob's mind and heart throughout his growing years. So each June 7 when Jacob was small, we would go to the store and buy one helium balloon. Jacob would carry it into our backyard, look up to the heavens and let it go. The balloon was a birthday message for Granddad. After dinner we would light the candles on a birthday cake and sing happy birthday to my father. Jacob would blow out the candles on Dad's behalf. I like to think my dad watched all those celebrations and enjoyed them as much as we did. He has been alive in our lives all these many years since his exit from this earthly plain. It just the interactions that change.

Nancy believes my dad sends messages to her in the form of songs and pennies. She finds pennies in the oddest places and at the oddest times. Last Thursday when we were at Mt. Sinai struggling with what was happening to my mom, Nan found a penny in the critical care area of the emergency room. She knew Dad was letting her know he was with us. This morning Cath sent me a note to tell me Dad sent her a message via an empty elevator that came to her without being beckoned. As it is his birthday and I've been chatting with him a fair bit today, I thought maybe I would get a message today too. But so far nothing. That's okay. I know he has been here with me anyway.

The day has practically passed. There were no balloons sent skyward, no birthday cake or candles. Just the loving thoughts and wishes of three grown daughters and one grandson who nineteen years later still miss our dad like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment