Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

"There is an instinct in a woman to love most her own child - and an instinct to make any child who needs her love, her own." ~Robert Brault


The day is beautiful. The sun is shining in the morning sky, almost making the unfurling leaves look electric. The ravine isn't quite in full spring splendor but I predict that tomorrow or Tuesday we will hit green day. Today is Mother's Day. Merv and Jacob spoiled me this morning with wonderful gifts and an offer to either take me out for dinner this evening or stay at home and be treated to a dinner of their making. I chose the latter. Mother's Day is terribly busy at every restaurant and I love the idea of just being home with my boys. It will be a bit of a challenge for them this year as I'm in the midst of another diet that limits my eating parameters pretty strictly for the first seventeen days.

I also heard from Jonathan this morning as he texted to wish me the happiness of this day. I feel so lucky to have him and the other children Jacob brought to my life. I've been thinking of them all this morning, hoping they are showing their own mothers the special love they deserve on this day.

This afternoon I will spend some time with my mom. I bought a beautiful watermelon that I will cut and take with me. I will bring some small gifts for my sisters on behalf of my son to honor all the mothering they have done of him. Mothers come in many forms.

To all of you who are moms by biology or by heart, I wish you the wonders of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment