Monday, May 23, 2011

Finale

"If you read a lot of books, you're considered well-read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well-viewed." ~Lily Tomlin

It's a big week in television. The season finales for Glee, American Idol and Dancing With The Stars. The end of Oprah. I haven't watched much of Dancing but I enjoyed the final competition night tonight. I love Glee and American Idol. Both are on tomorrow night though the winning Idol will not be named until Wednesday night. Oprah's very last show is on Wednesday.

Because I have a board meeting at the clinic on Wednesday, Geraldine and Nan will join me to watch the last Oprah show at two o'clock. I will make a nice lunch for us and open a bottle of champagne. I wish Cath could join us but she can't take time away from the office that day so it will just be we three. I will miss Oprah. I've learned a lot over these twenty-five years by watching her show. She has inspired me to dream great dreams, to find my courage when I've needed it most, to understand that even the smallest gestures and kindnesses can make a big difference in the lives of people. She has been a teacher, an entertainer and a friend. I can't think of a single thing I will be inclined to turn on during the daytime when there are no more Oprah shows to watch.

Come to think of it, with the season finales this week of Glee and Idol, I can think of few reasons why I'll be interested in turning the television on at all until next September.

No comments:

Post a Comment