Sunday, July 11, 2010

Selling Tickets

"It's a good year to get into raffles."
~ Scott Curtis


I remember the days when Jacob was in school and every parent would be sent a bundle of raffle tickets to sell or a catalogue of gift wrap or cookie mix or chocolates which we were expected to peddle to friends and family to raise funds for the school. I cringed every time I got a package of something I was expected to sell. For starters, I had created a rule at my place of employment that peddling goods for one's children's school, sports teams or asking for sponsorships for non-company sponsored events was banned. I did that after the seventh or eighth time I had been asked to buy something or sponsor someone's child's activities in the first week of my employment. People ignored the rule and I never made an issue of it, but it did help to cut down on the solicitations at least a little. I never wanted to ask my friends or family either to spend money to buy goods at inflated prices and of questionable quality. I usually placed a significant order myself, or in the case of raffle tickets, just bought the lot. I even won a few times though my outlay of cash usually exceeded the value of the prize.

I thought I had put those days behind me. Then I joined the board of Willow. At a board meeting a couple of years ago, I was handed twenty raffle tickets for the raffle at Willow's signature fundraising event, Eat to the Beat, and advised I was expected to sell them. I bought six and handed the balance back to the agency to be sold at the event. Many of my fellow board members did the same. Most of us don't work in corporate offices where it is easy to peddle tickets at $20 a piece. Last year, our raffle organizers who had run the raffle for years, decided to step off the committee. One reason that was cited was their perception of the lack of effort put forth by board members to sell raffle tickets. It was a long and sorry drama that I will not relate today. I was given no raffle tickets to sell last year. I was, however, given ten Eat to the Beat event tickets to sell, which I sold with a fair amount of ease and then placed an order for another six tickets. This year, I will not be selling event tickets. It is so much easier for the agency, me and buyers to buy the tickets on-line that I will encourage family and friends to join us but to buy their tickets directly. I was pleased to hear that there would be no expectation for me to sell event tickets this year. I was less pleased when I was handed an envelope containing twenty raffle tickets with an expectation that I will sell them.

The good news is that the prizes are great. First prize is a five-star, all-inclusive trip to Mexico. Second prize is a Persian carpet. Third is an Italian 14K white gold necklace. Fourth prize is a beautiful queen sized sapphire star quilt. Fifth prize is an Avenir 6-speed folding bicycle. The draw will take place at Eat to the Beat on Tuesday, October 5. Tickets are $20 each or 3 for $50. If you are interested in buying a ticket, please let me know.

As for the actual event, Willow Breast Cancer Support Canada’s annual fundraising gala, Eat to the Beat, features over 60 of Canada’s finest female chefs – all gathered in support of Willow’s free programs and services.

Highlighted as one of Toronto’s top 10 events by BizBash magazine, this year marks Eat to the Beat’s 15th anniversary, having raised more than $3 million for Willow. The event is held at Roy Thompson Hall and tickets are $150 each. For more information or to purchase tickets on-line, go to wwww.eattothebeat.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment