Monday, July 12, 2010

It's Twilight Time

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
George Carlin


I admit I feel a little silly - a middle aged woman swooning over a werewolf who is about the same age as my son. But there was that close-up of Jacob Black without his shirt and a collective sigh emanated from all the women in the theater and the gay man beside me.

Last night I went with my friend Nancy and a few others to see the latest movie in the Twilight series. It's hard to explain to someone the appeal of these adolescent vampire stories. When Nancy suggested I read the books, I thought that was a little strange but I picked up the first in the four part series and within three days had finished the fourth and last book. The stories are enthralling though they lack the complexity of the Harry Potter series. Nonetheless, the same level of suspension of disbelief is required. I'm willing to do that.

The story line is about a regular human girl who finds herself torn between two love interests, one a vampire and one a werewolf. It is clear from the start that the vampire will triumph and ultimately he does. When reading the books, I pictured the characters in a very different way than they are portrayed in the movie. Edward, the vampire, was exceptionally beautiful in my mind. Jacob Black, the werewolf, not so much. But for me, watching the movie, I'm all about the werewolf. He is infinitely more appealing than the vampire though he is barely beyond being jail bait.

The Twilight book series is mind candy. Watching Jacob Black in the movie is eye candy. Both feed the adolescent girl still living in my middle-aged body.

No comments:

Post a Comment