Thursday, January 7, 2010

In the Rhythm of 2010

"Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress." - Bruce Barton


The new year is a week old and I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. Jacob's last week of vacation is coming to a close. I will be taking him to Guelph on Saturday and I don't expect he will return home again until his reading week in February. I've spent two days in the office at Willow this week and will go back again tomorrow. My mom's eighty-eighth birthday was yesterday. We celebrated in the afternoon with a visit and a small cake. She is recovering from her chest cold and was up and dressed when I arrived.

The holidays were good. I've certainly enjoyed having Jacob home. It was great to have the house filled with young people again. I enjoyed seeing all my kids. Spending time with family and friends was great too. But I am not sorry to see the season come to an end. I like the rhythm of daily life. I enjoy the peace of a slower pace. I've gotten used to our quiet house. Next week Merv will be away on a business trip and Jacob will be back at school. I will have the house to myself. I will clean my closets, spread my beads and jewelry supplies out and create some new pieces, bring my laptop and tea into bed with me and settle in to watch TV in bed late into the night. These are the small luxuries I have come to enjoy in the months since we became empty nesters and I am truly alone in the house when Merv travels. I have found my rhythm. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment