Monday, March 23, 2020

Not Social Distancing


“Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits.” - Dee King

Social distancing.   I hate the term.  Social protecting, social spacing, social shielding or physical distancing are all better ways to express what's needed right now.  I am in day 13 of self-isolation.  Amazingly, it is getting easier as I go along.  Perhaps it's because I know it is coming to an end - at least the mandated part of it.  But maybe it's easier because I'm learning how to do it better.  I've embraced the technology that lets me look at people when I'm talking to them even if it is just through the screen on my phone.  I've waded into my art supplies and decided to try again to teach myself to paint with watercolours.  I've unearthed my beads and started to design a new line of jewellery, focused on men.  I've chatted more with friends about my feelings and frailties, no longer needing to hide that I too don't always feel strong.  I've learned to ask for help.  

On the more mundane side, I haven't touched up my roots since before I left for Australia.  I have the hair dye in my cupboard but I feel no need to bother.  No one is looking at me anyway and even if they are, I doubt they are seeing the detail of my greying temples through the lens of my phone.  Maybe this is my chance to see just how grey I have become. And I certainly will have time to tackle my closets in the coming days to do the long overdue purge of accumulated clothes that would better serve someone else now.

But social distancing - not going to happen.  I will keep my physical distance for the protection of myself and those around me.  I probably won't venture out much, even once I can.  COVID19 isn't just a matter of not getting a nasty virus for me.  It is literally a matter of life and death and as I have no intention of shuffling off the mortal coil anytime soon, I will keep the needed physical space.  But even in isolation, I am not distanced, never distanced from those I love.  I am not distanced from my neighbours or my community.  I am not distanced from the people of my city, country or of the world.  We are connected by the bonds of love and friendship.  And we are obligated by the universe and our creator to protect one another.  Right now, we need to do that with space.  But there is no force, no virus, no threat that will distance me from them, no matter where in the world they might be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment