Saturday, April 14, 2018

Pajama Day

“Chilling out on the bed in your hotel room watching television, while wearing your own pajamas, is sometimes the best part of a vacation.” - Laura Marano

I have been trying to recall when, if ever, I have spent a day in my pajamas when I wasn't desperately sick or recovering from surgery.  Then there was today.  It is six o'clock in the evening.  I am still in the pajamas I put on at six o'clock last night.  In fact, I'm still in my bed watching innocuous movies and playing Words With Friends.  It has been a wasted day and a needed day.  I am teetering on the edge of burnout, putting in too many stressful work hours in the winter that will never end.  It has been alternately snowing and sleeting since nine o'clock last night, my windows a constant patter of ice pellets hitting the panes.  I am forgetting what the sun looks like in the ever grayness of the sky.  It is April 14th and bewilderingly it is still winter.

My plan was to get some spring cleaning done in these days of my husband's absence while he is on his annual golf vacation.  But my closets are in the same disarray that they were in yesterday.  I am housebound, yet unable to muster enough interest to do anything in my house.  Some pretty new stones I bought last week are languishing in my craft room as is the necklace I promised to repair for my sister.  A half dozen pieces of furniture are waiting for my creative touch.  If I go downstairs, I will feel guilty for not at least making a start at getting them done but I can't see them from my bedroom.  Out of sight, out of mind.

I was supposed to have an overdue dinner with some friends but they live in a country home, too far from the city to make the perilous drive tonight.  I would order in dinner or go and pick it up but it is far too nasty outside to ask anyone to deliver it or to venture out for it myself.  I have some mussels in the freezer that I can always heat up or I can make a bowl of angel hair pasta with a portobello cream sauce.  I'm reasonably sure there is one last split of prosecco in the fridge.   I might even take a bath and change my pajamas if I can summon the energy.  I'm afraid to look at the weather forecast for tomorrow.  Eventually, I will have to get out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment