Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Son is a Son

"A son is a son 'til he takes him a wife, but a daughter's a daughter for all of her life." - Anon

When I was little, my mom would repeat that old rhyme to me over and over.  I think it was her way of finding perfection in the fact that she produced three daughters and no sons.  As the mother of only one child, a son, I've always wanted to believe that the rhyme was silly.  I wouldn't lose Jacob when he married.  He wouldn't ignore me or see his wife as a replacement for me.  We have been joined at the heart for twenty-five years.  Nothing could change that.

Jacob hasn't married yet.  There is no new woman who has stolen him from me but I'm starting to wonder if there is some merit to the old rhyme.  Maybe it's not that a son is a son 'til he takes him a wife, but a son is a son 'til he takes him a condo.  He moved a week and a half ago and he has yet to initiate contact.  No text messages, no calls, no coming home for dinner on the Family Day weekend.  I am hurt and I am sad but I don't know what to do about that.  It's my pain but it's not my play.

No comments:

Post a Comment