Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Weekend Before


“The poll that matters is the one that happens on Election Day.” -  Heather Wilson

I'm trying to plan a strategy this morning to take me through the weekend before the U.S. election while retaining some small measure of sanity and minimizing the panic attacks that have plagued me in the middle of the night this past week since the FBI director made his big play to end Hillary's election hopes.  The first thing I know I need to do is stay away from CNN.  But resisting the pull to just turn it on for a few moments while I'm crafting or listen to it on my satellite radio while in my car is easier said than done.  I'm watching the train wreck and though I don't actually want to see it, I can't seem to pull my eyes away.

Apparently, I'm not the only Canadian who is obsessed by this election.  Even Canadian news reports are broadcasting poll results and campaign rallies in an endless loop.  I can't go anywhere without hearing everyone around me talking about the election.  If these candidates were here, Tuesday would be far greater than an election - it would be coronation day for Hillary Clinton.  Perhaps it is our distance that gives us this perspective.  I feel like an observer watching the 21st century version of Hitler's rise to power and we know how well that turned out for the world.

Luckily, we are having a warm November week - warm enough that I think I can paint outside this afternoon.  I have four child's chairs and a lovely telephone table that are taking up space in my den while they await refinishing.  Tonight I think I may take out my DVD of The Sound of Music and play it in an endless loop while singing "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" at the top of my lungs (only old people will understand this reference).  I bought ten pounds of beets to pickle so that should occupy a few hours of my time tomorrow. 

Three more days, then we'll see.  God willing, on Wednesday, I won't have to be planning my strategy to get through the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment