Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Frozen

"Let the storm rage on! The cold never bothered me, anyway." - Elsa from the movie Frozen

I'm trying hard to cope uncomplainingly about the deep freeze we're in.  I know Toronto isn't as bad as some other places but still it's awfully cold.  Monday was so icy I made the decision early in the day that I wouldn't even venture out.  But in the early evening Sara called and asked if I would drive her to a friend's house.  Crawling along the frozen streets I was reminded of why I wanted to stay home.  Yesterday wasn't a whole lot better but I couldn't bear another day stuck in the house.  Courtney is still with us for the week.  We did a little shopping at Bayview Village where the parking lot was empty and then headed home to watch a few episodes of Downton Abbey on DVD.  Courtney has become hooked.  Last evening Court, Sara and I headed to Fairview to see the new Disney movie, Frozen.  I couldn't quite believe that I was going to a Disney movie with two grown women but it is the film they wanted to see.  I was surprised to find the theatre filled with adults.  There were a few ill behaved children to spoil the quieter moments but it was mainly adults, men and women.

Frozen was my first Disney movie since taking Jacob as a little boy.  It is a girlie movie and in that regard, it was my first.  I don't even recall watching girlie Disney movies when I was a girl.  As much as I hate to admit it, Frozen was a good choice.  It was sweet and funny, spirited and moving.  The plot was a detour from the usual princess in love story to a story about the love between sisters.

Today I gave in to the deep freeze all the way and drove downtown to shop for beads on Queen Street.  My concerns about having to park far away and walk in the bitter cold were unwarranted.  The street was virtually empty and we parked at a meter in front of the store.  The $2.45 cufflink backs I went to buy, morphed into $200 worth of beads.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet but I'm sure over the course of the next few days, they will tell me what they would like to become.  When I got home from the bead store, I found that I received a shipment from Karibu beads today of the African clay beads I order from time to time.  I had rather forgotten about the order but was pleased to note that some of those beads will work nicely with what I bought today.

Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to rise a little and a little more on Friday.  It's only January.  Something tells me it's going to be a long, cold winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment