Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Rock

"Back in Newfoundland, we played in the kitchen because it was the biggest and warmest room in the house.  Now, it's because it's the closest to the fridge."  - Alan Doyle

It is astonishingly beautiful, not to mention probably the friendliest place on earth.  Not a morsel of meat has crossed my lips since Sunday when we arrived.  It has been all fish, all the time.  This afternoon I thought I could feel gills sprouting from my sides.  I must admit there are some things about being in Newfoundland that I didn't expect - like the heat for one thing.  Everyone told me to pack my woolies.  My tiny suitcase is filled by jeans and socks, sweaters and shirts.  I wish there were a few more sundresses and a couple of pairs of sandals.  I knew outside St. John's the communities would be small but I didn't expect the vastness of the space between communities or that many, if not most of them would consist of less than ten houses.  I keep wondering about the lives of these people.  How do they cope with such isolation?  What do they do with their time?  I can't help but think about how small their lives must be.  For much of our trip we haven't even had cellphone service.

But still, part of me can see the attraction.  It is inspiring to be surrounded by such vast natural beauty.  Everyone knows everyone; speaks to everyone; watches out for everyone.  Their lives seem simpler and they seem happy.  We should all be so lucky.

It is a good vacation.  Jacob and Jonathan are great company for one another and fun to be with when we are all together.  Merv and I have guilt free quiet time without worrying that Jacob is bored.  The air is fresh.  The food is delicious.  The land is beautiful.  Who knew Newfoundland would be this spectacular?


No comments:

Post a Comment