Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wonderfully Wicked

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I am defying gravity
And you wont bring me down!

- Lyrics of Defying Gravity from Wicked


Amazing. Enthralling. Engaging. Uplifting. I loved Wicked. For our anniversary in August, Merv gave me a pair of tickets for last night's performance of Wicked at the Canon Theatre. The three hour performance went by in a flash. It is by far the best musical I've seen in a decade.

Wicked is the story of what happened before Dorothy went to Oz and what happened in Oz when she left. It was funny and heartwarming. The music is sensational. The performers were first-rate. We had seats in the front row of the balcony which is the most perfect vantage point from which to see all the action that's continually happening on stage. The scenery was amazing and the staging was complex. The actor who played the role of the Wicked Witch of the West, Elpheba, was the understudy but I can't imagine anyone could have performed it better.

The Toronto tour ends on November 28. This is one show not to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment